- Prepare Your Heart for Prayer: Before you begin, have It is Finished visible – print it out or have the image pulled up on your phone or computer. Pick a comfortable place where you will not be disturbed or distracted. You may want to begin your time in prayer with a scripture reading. Read 2 Timothy 2:20 out loud (caption under artwork). Close your eyes, breathe, clear your mind, and ask God to enter into this time of prayer with you. Ask God to speak to you through It is Finished.
- Allow It is Finished to Speak to Your Heart: Open your eyes and look at the entire picture of the It is Finished. Notice the objects, the people, the colors, and the lighting. What's in the foreground? Background? What word or emotion does It is Finished bring to your heart or mind? What do you hear God whispering into your heart? What thoughts or questions is this image raising? What emotions do you feel? Continue to gaze and reflect as long as you need to, then briefly close your eyes. Once you have looked at the artwork, make a mental note of the part of the painting that caught your attention. Let your eyes focus on the part of the image they’re first drawn to. Gaze upon just that part of the image for a minute or two. Then close your eyes, still seeing that part of the image in your mind.
- Listening for God: Open your eyes and meditate on the part of the picture that has drawn your attention. How is God speaking to you? Why do you think God drew your attention to this particular part? Is a message conveyed that is relevant to your life? Do you sense an invitation? Is a memory aroused? What do you hear God whispering into your heart? What thoughts or questions is this image raising? What emotions do you feel? Continue to gaze and reflect as long as you need to, then briefly close your eyes.
- Talk to God: Open your eyes. God has been speaking to you as you meditated on this artwork. It’s now time for you to respond. While looking at It is Finished, respond to God. What is your prayer? Articulate any yearnings or desires that arise. Give voice to your emotions. Pray through the words, images, emotions, questions, and thoughts that are now on your heart. Continue to look at it as you pray. Then, close your eyes briefly.
- Rest and Reflect in God: As you close out your time in prayer, open your eyes. Rest in God’s presence as you reflect upon this prayer experience. Spend some time in silence. Consider how you’ll take this into your life. You may choose to journal about your experience.