- Find a quiet place to sit comfortably and settle in.
- Take several slow, deep, centering breaths to bring yourself into a more prayerful state.
- Listen to the musical selection. Pay close attention to the lyrics.
- Choose a phrase or phrases that resonate with you and take a moment to repeat them silently to yourself. Use your breath to pace the words.
- Listen a second time, focusing on the feel of the music and the imagery that it brings, perhaps imagery associated with the phrase you chose.
- Listen a third time if possible, taking in the whole piece but connecting especially with the phrases you chose.
- Sit in silence. Let the thoughts and feelings that the music has inspired wash through you.
- How is God speaking to you through the music chosen to pray with today? If you keep a journal, write your thoughts or feelings now, perhaps expressing gratitude for this quiet time with God. If not, close your session with a short prayer.