- Find a quiet place to sit comfortably and settle in.
- Take several slow, deep, centering breaths to bring yourself into a more prayerful state.
- Listen to the musical selection. Pay close attention to the lyrics.
- Choose a phrase or phrases that resonate with you and take a moment to repeat them silently to yourself. Use your breath to pace the words.
- Listen a second time, focusing on the feel of the music and the imagery that it brings, perhaps imagery associated with the phrase you chose.
- Listen a third time if possible, taking in the whole piece but connecting especially with the phrases you chose.
- Sit in silence. Let the thoughts and feelings that the music has inspired wash through you.
- How is God speaking to you through the music chosen to pray with today? If you keep a journal, write your thoughts or feelings now, perhaps expressing gratitude for this quiet time with God. If not, close your session with a short prayer.
The word of the Lord came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
6 “Alas, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”
7 But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.
9 Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.”
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."